The Transport Ministry has refuted all claims that the KKIA was unsafe
Putrajaya today refuted a claim by Sarawak construction magnate Tan Sri Ting Pek Khiing that the runway at the Kota Kinabalu International Airport (KKIA) was unsafe for take-off and landing, insisting here that it has been certified safe by local aviation authorities.
In a Bernama report yesterday, the Sarawak tycoon announced that Global Upline Sdn Bhd has stopped all works to develop KKIA closed the airport runway, blaming the Transport Ministry for failing to issue the Certificate of Practical Completion (CPC) to the firm for completion for one of its work packages at the airport.
Without the certification, Ting said the KKIA was not safe for any activity as it has not been recognised as complete.
“The Transport Ministry vehemently denies GUSB's statement claiming that KKIA is unsafe for airlines operations,” the ministry said in a press statement today.
“The Department of Civil Aviation (DCA), which is the authority to establish airport standards, and Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (MAHB), the airport operator, have confirmed that KKIA complies with the International Civil Aviation Organisation's (ICAO) standards.”
The ministry added that the DCA conducts periodical monitoring of the KKIA runway and has found it that it has duly complied with stipulated standards and is fit for operations.
It also urged the public not to be afraid of safety conditions at KKIA or its airlines operations, giving its assurance that necessary measure will always be taken to ensure their safety.
The ministry then explained that the airport contractor was issued a Certificate of Non-Completion and Liquidated Ascertained Damages (LAD) for failing to complete in totality works in section one of the works by the April 30 deadline, maintaining that this in accordance with the terms and conditions in its contract.
In his statement on Bernama yesterday, Ting had said that GUSB had “practically completed” section one of the works but was still issued the CNC and LAD.
Section one includes the runway extension, resurface of existing runway, new taxiways A, C, D, E and K, installation of a 7km high tension cable and three automated pump stations, according to the Bernama report.
The article also quoted Ting as claiming that the ministry had also to pay RM113 million contractual claim for the upgrade of Kuching International Airport and RM21 million for Labuan Airport, leaving GUSB with no choice but to commence legal action to recover the outstanding payment.
But in response today, the ministry argued that the contractual claim had already been rejected by the government.
DCA confirms it? DCA kept quiet about the malfuction in the air control system in KLIA and only after PKR got insider info, that it was revealed. With the fiasco in KKIA and Penang, you think that the construction is up to standard?
Crony-linked contracts without open tender and the usual obscene markups. The ministry should act without fear or favour. The contractor is well known for greasing politicians and those in command. The ministry should stay firm against unscrupulous businessmen.
Why not adopt anti-lynas idea? Get the minister to ride the plane, taking off and landing at the same airport. If he dare not, then something fishy going on.
This "King" Kong has to go.