02 October 2011
PAS lawmaker Khalid Samad today won a judgment against Umno-owned Utusan Melayu over a defamatory article from two years ago.
Khalid had sued the publishers of Utusan Malaysia last year over the article “Zulkifli bidas Pak Janggut (Zulkifli blasts Bearded Man)” published in September 2009, which he claimed was libellous in nature.
In making his ruling today, High Court justice Dr Prasad Sandosham Abraham agreed with the Shah Alam MP’s assertions, and added that the newspaper had published the article without first verifying the veracity of its contents.
Abraham later set October 11 for the determination of damages to be awarded to Khalid.
Continue to sue those mas media so that they will learn a lesson. They will be more careful. Do not misuse mas media to talk anything they like.
Awang Selamat from Utusan not selamat anymore !!!!! Time to go on suing Utusan !!!!!!! Now is LGE turn !!!!!
Former MCA president Datuk Seri Ong Tee Keat has said his successor Datuk Seri Dr Chua Soi Lek is not a “winnable candidate,” pointing out that the former health minister’s 2007 sex scandal will be a major liability in the general election expected to be called soon.
Dr Chua, who deposed Ong as MCA boss in a fractious power struggle 18 months ago, has yet to confirm his own candidacy despite revealing this week that several current leaders will not run in the coming polls.
Rumours have been swirling since February that Ong (picture) will also be dropped but the Pandan MP told The Malaysian Insider in an interview this week that Dr Chua’s 2007 sex video scandal will continue to plague the MCA president and Barisan Nasional (BN).
“Is he a winnable candidate? I don’t think the Malaysian public can accept him. Of course, he wants to run. He has been saying five divisions want him to contest and many including him will say that personal misconduct or immorality is no excuse to deny him the right to contest.
“But they are not deep-diving into winnability. If he were to contest, it will be an acid test of the values of the electorate,” Ong said.
Dr Chua stepped down as health minister and MCA vice-president in 2008 after admitting he was the man featured in a secretly recorded video which showed him having sex with his lover.
But he made a comeback later to win the party’s deputy presidency after the MCA’s top two leaders resigned due to its poor showing in Election 2008. The party won just 15 of 40 federal and 31 of 90 state seats it contested.
The party subsequently sacked Dr Chua in August 2009 over the sex scandal, sparking an extraordinary general meeting where a vote of no confidence in Ong was passed.
Dr Chua became MCA president in March 2010 in fresh elections where he saw off Ong and former president Tan Sri Ong Ka Ting.
The MCA holds what is likely to be its final general assembly this weekend before federal polls are called.
But despite having three presidents in as many years, the party has seen Chinese support continue to shrink in by-elections.
Some analysts said that the Tenang polls held earlier this year saw just 18 per cent of Chinese voting for BN.
The Malaysian Insider understands that senior BN component Umno has written off Chinese support for the next general election, expecting no more than 30 per cent of the community’s backing.
Ong said in the interview that “MCA members need to ponder on why there are question marks over whether the president himself is going to contest” as this was an indicator of the party’s relevance to the public.
I just cannot understand how a minister who admitted being involved in sex scandal can still become the party president. Do MCA members have no morality at all? I'm sure there are more clean candidates that can become the president. If they still choose to retain him then it shows that majority of MCA members have no morality at all and probably practcing the same as their president.
A suspended Johor DAP assemblyman today revealed he had been offered RM150,000 and 50 acres of land to quit his party and stand as an independent candidate aligned to rival Barisan Nasional (BN) in the coming national polls.
First-term Bentayan state lawmaker Gwee Tong Hiang said he was approached last Tuesday by a Chinese man claiming to be a representative from the Prime Minister’s Department who caught him while he was feeling down over his six-month suspension for alleged power abuse.
Gwee said though he was upset after being suspended he would not accept the BN offer.
The allegation comes on the heels of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak’s latest charge to win back support from ethnic Chinese voters nationwide, following the dismal performance from the ruling coalition’s Chinese parties, notably the MCA, which has been practically written off as irrelevant.
The allegation also recalls the controversial takeover of Perak, which was won in the 2008 general election by the PAS-DAP-PKR pact.
Jelapang MP and Perak state assembly Deputy Speaker Datuk Hee Yit Fong had quit the DAP to become a BN-friendly independent, tipping the balance in favour of the BN.
Najib, who is also BN chairman, carried out a whirlwind tour into enemy territory in DAP-controlled Penang last weekend, but support towards the BN government in Umno-controlled Johor appears to be eroding as well if Gwee’s claim is to be believed.
Gwee told reporters the man, whom he named as Wee Pao Chin, had arranged for him to meet Najib in Putrajaya on Monday where the BN chairman would announce the news at a media conference.
He said the RM150,000 would be provided by Putrajaya and would be paid to him in one lump sum through the Wee clan association in order to avoid detection.
He also claimed that he was promised more than RM5,000 a month as extra funds and would be given an office and staff to take care of his constituents if he agreed to quit the DAP.
“Their terms were ‘you must stand as independent candidate in the next election to fight DAP candidate’,” Gwee, 44, disclosed at the DAP headquarters here today.
The Bentayan state seat is in the Bakri parliamentary constituency and was until 2008 an MCA stronghold. Gwee beat the MCA’s Lee Chin Yong in the last general election with a comfortable 2,798-vote margin.
Asked why the BN wanted him as a candidate there for the next polls, Gwee said he was told: “Top management kau-tim [has been fixed]. MCA will not put a candidate in Bentayan constituency.”
Gwee said he made an audio recording of his conversation yesterday with the alleged agent — carried out entirely in Mandarin — and handed out copies of the transcript, in Chinese and English, to back his claim.
A DAP member since 1990, Gwee said though he was upset after being suspended six months for alleged power abuse, he would not accept the BN offer.
“Although the past last week I’ve been very down…,” he managed to get out before breaking down into tears.
“I’m still a DAP man. The BN offering me this is not right. That’s why I expose it, to tell BN not every DAP ADUN or MP can be bought over. I love the DAP. My party is DAP,” he said in an emotion-choked voice.
He will be filing a police report later today in Muar and also plans to file a report with the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) in Batu Pahat.
DAP publicity chief Tony Pua, who was also at today’s conference, said the party will be seeking clarification from the Prime Minister’s Department and called on Najib to disclose if he had instructed his men to entice opposition representatives or investigate and act against imposters
150K is too cheap! That blardy woman from Jelapang bought a new Mercedes after she became B.N. friendly and dare to flaunt it publicly too. 150K can't even buy a Toyota Camry 2.4.
Anyway, hats off to you bradder for sticking with DAP.
I am not surprise........I know the UMNO will do anything to win back the 'power' even though their actions is against the law....
What i wanna see now is THE ACTION TAKEN BY ANTI CORRUPTION AND POLICE to this case............
DAP secretary-general Lim Guan Eng wants the prime minister to apologise for another “flip-flop”, this time over the scrapping of Bumiputera quotas.
Datuk Seri Najib Razak said yesterday he had not promised to abolish the 30 per cent quota eventually despite media reports to the contrary.
But Lim (picture) pointed out today it was hard to believe state news agency Bernama, which also carried the alleged misquote, would dare to misrepresent the prime minister.
“As it is hard to imagine a government news department like Bernama daring to misquote or misrepresent what the prime minister said, will the prime minister be compelled to apologise for saying the wrong thing?” Lim said in a statement.
Bernama, several online news portals and the Chinese media reported earlier this week that Najib had called for the eventual removal of Bumiputera quotas.
“We want to do away from (with) quotas but we must support them (Bumiputera entrepreneurs) in a way that would allow them to grow,” Najib told the Khazanah Megatrends Forum 2011 here on Tuesday night.
The prime minister, however, denied yesterday he had meant for such quotas to be scrapped and that he was merely trying to urge Bumiputera entrepreneurs to be more self-sufficient.
“I did not say we want to abolish quotas, but I said we cannot be too reliant on them,” he had said after chairing the Umno supreme council meeting here.
Critics have accused Najib of diluting his New Economic Model (NEM) reforms by creating agencies like Teraju and failing to focus on needs- and merit-based affirmative action policies.
But government officials said the move was necessary as Bumiputera equity in the economy remained low despite the billions doled out since the New Economic Policy (NEP) began in 1971
Dont' ever dream you think this Najib will apologise ? Even when the sun rises from the west, he will still make excuses to say something else, don't you remember he is well knows as the "flip flop" man
UMNO Presidents have to flip flop forever, because they want everybody's vote but can only cater to the UMNOputra's needs. If Najib does not continue this traditions of lying to different crowds, he will share the fate of Badawi, Tun Hussein Onn and Tunku.
PKR claimed today that Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz gave misleading information in Parliament about closing the case on private investigator P. B...
Correct, correct, correct...joke of the year...Malaysia committed to judges’ independence says UMNOPORNO flatterers dogsPrime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak pledged today to uphold judiciary independence in the country and emphasised its importance to a dem...
Najib’s daughter engaged to be married......with Mickey Mouse...and then wasting the public fund...!!!!thus presumably the daughter of Najib when married with the devil....ha ha ha The daughter of Datuk Seri Najib Razak was today betrothed ...
A two-minute clip of the video purportedly showing Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim having sex was uploaded to YouTube yesterday and shared on sev...
Najib has no ball..... Malaysia deport French lawyer fighting alleged corruption by shipmaker in submarine dealA French lawyer said Friday he is being deported from Malaysia, and the human rights group he represents accused the government of paranoi...
Barisan Nasional (BN) leaders denied today that the ruling coalition was behind the emergence of a sex video purportedly showing a senior ...
nazri ....godfather of the porn thugs Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz wants a royal commission of inquiry (RCI) to be set up to determine whethe...
Election watchdog chief Datuk Ambiga Sreenevasan applauded today Khairy Jamaluddin’s vow to carry on with the Umno Youth march to rival th...
PKR said today that the emergence of a two-minute snippet of the sex video exposed by “Datuk T” proves that its de facto leader Datuk Ser...
PAS has called on the Najib administration to bow to Bersih’s eight-point reforms to the electoral system or face a repeat of the rally th...