Pakatan Rakyat (PR) alleged today one of its MPs was offered RM2 million to defect to Barisan Nasional (BN) after screening a five-minute video of a purported meeting between the lawmaker’s representatives and agents from the ruling coalition from over a year ago.
Opposition MPs showed the clip, which they said was recorded in a Klang Valley restaurant “around the time others left PKR”, but none of the five present could clearly be identified, with the faces of the PR MP’s two representatives’ blurred out.
However, PKR secretary-general Datuk Saifuddin Nasution (picture) said one of the BN agents, whose back faces what appears to be a hidden camera, was a former PKR Youth state chief who has since joined another party.
“Two million is not enough,” one of the MP’s representatives is heard saying.
“We only get loose change,” the former PKR man replies before another individual, who the opposition lawmakers said was also a BN agent, said that projects could also be included in the package.
Although the PR lawmakers refused to say exactly when or where the recording was made or which MP was involved, they said that a shortlist of about 10 MPs had been approached to leave the opposition pact.
Selangor PAS deputy chief Khalid Samad also told reporters that the surveillance equipment was installed by “our team” and warned BN to be “careful” in future as they were aware of such attempts.
“The whole video is three hours long. We want a response from the agent, if not we will release more information,” the Shah Alam MP said.
Six MPs and five assemblymen have left PKR since the March 2008 elections with two Perak DAP assemblymen helping BN restore their control of the silver state.
Datuk Seri Zahrain Hashim began the exodus at the beginning of 2010 and the last PKR MP to leave the opposition pact was N. Gobalakrishnan in January 2011.
The independent MPs then formed the largely BN-friendly Konsesi Bebas and have claimed that up to 10 more MPs would leave PR.
A "Pak Zahrain" was also mentioned by the former PKR leader as being one of those who accepted the RM2 million offer.
But the Bayan Baru MP told reporters in an immediate reaction that "I don't know about any video or agents."
"I was never made an offer to leave. I was the first and I was the only one on February 12, 2010, because I had lost confidence.
"The only defection effort I know is for September 16, when the offer was RM2 million," he said, referring to Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim's plan in 2008 to take federal power by wooing 30 MPs from BN.
MACC very quiet....mmmm....maybe they will charge Pakatan for releasing video without FINAS censorship certificate.
I am sure more attempts like this will be made by Barisan as their grip on power is slowly unloosened. Najib and Barisan will do anything to stay in Putrajaya as the alternatives is unbearable. Decimation of Barisan and jail terms come to mind. Lets us all make this a reality. ABU.!