Search This Blog

Blogger Widgets
Your Ad Here

23 September 2009

Free from detention, but not a free man

Share
Mat Sah can't even go to the supermarket behind his house

“I have to report to the Ampang police station every Monday. I am also not allowed anywhere out of the Ampang police's area of jurisdiction. On top of that, I can’t go out of my house after 10pm.”


FORMER ISA detainee Mat Sah Mohd Satray may have thanked his lucky stars at having been released from the Kamunting camp ahead of the Aidilfitri festivities but he is still far from a being a completely free man due to several restrictions on his movement, similar to the parole system used in the US.

Like many other former detainees, his release from the camp in Perak had been a conditional one and the restrictions remain in force until June 12 next year.

Speaking to Malay Mail at his house in Taman Keramat yesterday, Mat Sah said he must adhere to several “rules” if he wants his continued freedom ensured.

“I have to report to the Ampang police station every Monday. I am also not allowed anywhere out of the Ampang police's area of jurisdiction. On top of that, I can’t go out of my house after 10pm.”

Mat Sah also can’t make public speeches or mingle around public figures, among other things. He said these are some of the conditions he had agreed to prior to his release.

Now aged 46, Mat Sah was released from the camp on Sept 15 after being detained for seven years and five months, since April 18, 2002, for his alleged involvement with the banned Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) movement.

On Mat Sah’s first Hari Raya celebration out of detention, his wife Norlaila Othman said she was happy that her family had reunited, but it had been a restrained celebration and they couldn’t do much due to the restrictions imposed on her husband.

“We woke up early to dress. My husband and son, Suhaib, went to the surau near our house for Aidilfitri prayers while I tidied up the house. After that we headed to his father’s house in Kampung Pandan and spent most of the day there with relatives.

"Unfortunately, he wasn’t able to visit his mother’s grave in Segambut together with his relatives as the area is outside Ampang.”

Ever since her husband was detained, Norlaila said she had stopped indulging in the usual Hari Raya preparations as was practised by other Muslim families.

“The preparations I’d make on Hari Raya eve would be to pack some of my husband’s clothes in a bag, along with some ketupat and rendang to take to Kamunting. On Hari Raya morning, my son and I would drive to Kamunting to visit him.”

But, if she had known that her husband was coming home for this year's Hari Raya, she would’ve at least bought some new furniture, changed the curtains and cooked her own rendang instead of buying ready-made ones at the last minute.

Norlaila said their Hari Raya celebration might have been a lot more eventful if her husband had been allowed to move within the areas under the Ampang constituency instead of merely areas under the police’s jurisdiction.

“It’s not just about Raya. The restrictions are making it harder for us in our efforts to lead normal lives. Much has changed since he was detained.

"I’m trying my best to show him around but I can’t even take him to the supermarket I usually shop at, despite it being behind our house, because that road is listed under Setiawangsa!” she said.

While his wife worried much about her husband adjusting to his new surroundings and fitting in, Mat Sah’s worries were mostly centred around how he too will be able to contribute financially for his family once his wife, a primary school English teacher, starts teaching again next year.

Previously a technician in Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka, he doubts that he would be able to get his old job back.

“I’m assuming that with me being an ex-ISA detainee, people may have concerns about hiring me to work for them. And looking at how ISA issues are played up and portrayed by the media, who can blame them?”


comments

This is slightly better than Aung San Suu Kyi's house arrest. Looks like we are STILL not that far behind Myanmar's Junta.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Your Ad Here